Tuesday, June 10, 2014

You are Being Tacky at the Least

Dear Person who puts a St. Joseph Statue Upside Down in Their Yard so he can Magically Sell Their House:

Stop.  Stop it!  It's so tacky.  If you are Catholic, it might even be sacrilegious!  I mean, it's not really against God or anything because of course St. Joseph was just a person, but it's kind of mean.  I mean, we ask Saints to pray for us, to help us find lost things (Anthony) to pray that our dog gets better (Francis), to pray that we stop being so crazy (Dymphna), you get the picture, right?  So why, if you were asking someone for something, would you bury a statue of them in the yard?  UPSIDE DOWN?  Ticky tack.  

With Love and God Help You,

Joanne

I have a friend who commented on this very thing the other day.  I felt like it was bait but I might be paranoid.  Some radio personality said he wasn't Catholic but he heard Catholics buried the statue of St. Joseph upside down so he could sell their house and should he try?  So my friend commented that she was Catholic and her house didn't sell for five months and then she buried the statue and it sold in two weeks!

I mean, it makes us look like kooks.  And also dumbbells.  There are specific prayers that you can say to Saints.  You can look them up!  You can say prayers and ask St. Gerard to pray for you as a mother, you can ask the Blessed Mother for ANYTHING.  I just - how did it come up that poor Joseph should have his visage buried upside down in a yard?  THEN - oh I forgot - THEN if your house does sell, you are to take the statue and presumably wash it off, then put it in a place of honor in your new house that you buy with the money from your old house.  If your house doesn't sell, I guess you just bash it over the head of your Realtor or something.

If I were a bad Catholic, it would make me ashamed to be a bad Catholic.

No comments:

Post a Comment